Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Way of the Pride! Now with forum fighting action 8D

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

(READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!!) Tutorial on DVD RIPPING and how to RE-ENCODE MKVS

Go down 
+2
GaryOak
Otakugray
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Otakugray
Space Cowboy
Otakugray

(READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!!) Tutorial on DVD RIPPING and how to RE-ENCODE MKVS Empty
PostSubject: (READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!!) Tutorial on DVD RIPPING and how to RE-ENCODE MKVS   (READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!!) Tutorial on DVD RIPPING and how to RE-ENCODE MKVS I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2010 4:34 am

Okay so a lot of people have been posting about where to find clips, how to get the best quality etc.

TODAY IM GOING TO EXPLAIN HOW TO DVD RIP AND ENCODE PROPERLY.

Couple things to know about encoding files.

RULE #1:

Shitty clip goes in.

Shitty clip goes out.

No matter how many crappy filters you slap onto that avi file you found on rapidshare...its still crappy footage. Find yourself a dvd or a really good mkv file.

RULE #2:

Do NOT use THORA mkvs for your blu-ray sources.

This is not necessarily important, but THORA is a fan-sub group that lets you download blu-ray dvd rips. They do NOT properly encode their files and so most of their stuff is really difficult to re-encode.

RULE #3:

NEVER USE MFTOON.

That is an out-of-date filter and is usually known for fucking up your footage, along with your avisynth folder.

OKAY NOW THAT THATS OUT OF THE WAY...

THINGS YOU WILL NEED:

amvapp. Idc which version just make sure it has virtualdub or virtualdubmod, avisynth(i recommend downloading the latest version), dvd decrypter, DGindex, and any other codecs you might need.

You can get the amvapp HERE.

A computer...duh.

A dvd ripping drive.

And an anime dvd/mkv file.

STEP 1.
Shove that dvd into your computer's disc drive and wait for it to load. Let it run via dvd decrypter.

Make sure DVD-D is set too "IFO MODE". It may ask you about the region...select America, and it will atuomatically select the track with the MOST INFORMATION ON IT.

For this lesson i will be ripping Howls moving castle as an example:

Spoiler:

Click the big button when its green.

You should see this window:
Spoiler:

The program is copying the files from your VIDEO_TS folder and putting them in your harddrive.

This may take a few minutes/hours and so now would be a good time to call a friend, make dinner, or go play some video games while you wait.
STEP 2.

When you are finished, browse through your C drive and find the folder the VIDEO_TS is in.

Inside the VIDEO_TS folder...it should look like this:

Spoiler:

While you may be confused as to what all these random files are...all you need to focus on are the .VOB files. These are DVD specific files and we need to make it so we can open them in virtualdub/mod for encoding.

This is why we have...DGINDEX.

Run dgindex and it should look like this:

Spoiler:

Select all of the .VOB files in VIDEO_TS and drag/drop them too DGINDEX.

It should look like this:

Spoiler:

Hit ok and continue onto the next step.

STEP 3.

Now that you have ur dgindex working and all the .vob files are in it...what do you do?

HERE IS A QUICK GUIDE TO DGINDEX'S INTERFACE:

Spoiler:

Using the outpoint/inpoint buttons, select the main movie and ignore the parts you dont want, such as credits and titles sequences.

Then, select FILE > SAVE PROJECT and save the file as a .d2v file.

I set mine as "howls.d2v".

When it is finished saving the d2v file, it will look like this:

Spoiler:

If your VIDEO TYPE IS SET TO FILM 99% OR LOWER....then you need to do VIDEO > FORCE FILM.

If you dont...it will not work properly.

Take note of the size for your clips. My dvd is already using 720x480 files and the ratio is 16:9. Thats decent 480p footage, but if you have 4:3 footage, you make want to resize your footage later on too 640x480.

Now, close out of dgindex....

STEP 4.

This is the fun part. We get too re-encode the files into an .AVI format! cheers

Look in the VIDEO_TS folder. There should be a few new files now.

Spoiler:

Most of these files are not important, but notice the .AVS file.

Spoiler:

That is an avisynth script.

Lets take a little look into how avisynth works.

Avisynth stands for Synthetic Avi.

It works by creating a fake .avi file....and then running it through a program such as virtualdub or mod or even windows media player. It can be used to create simple editing videos...but it is not best used for that, seeing as it is extremely limited.

Now, back to our little .avs file. This script has a code in it, (which, if we open it with notepad, then we can see this code) that opens up our .d2v file and finds all the .VOB files and smashes them all together to make one, editable process.

Right click on the file and open it with Virtualdub or Mod.

Spoiler:

Now as confusing as this is...you wont need to worry about most of these buttons.

The important thing is your footage. Drag the slider to see if your dvd came out properly....

If you see lines in your footage during movement, then u have interlaced footage.

Now i cannot show you an example with howls moving castle simply because my footage was not interlaced.

However, here is what interlaced anime looks like:

Spoiler:

If you have this issue...

put the TFM or TDeint plugins into your script.

Code:
mpeg2source("C:\HMC0NNW1\VIDEO_TS\howls.d2v")
TFM()
tdeint()

otakugray wrote:
GaryOak wrote:
thanks, awesome info ;D

No problem. I didnt write much on how to get the TFM and TDEINT plugins.

They are part of a pack called "TIVTC." If you go HERE and look down the list you can find it. CTRL-F is helpful too ofc :3

STEP 5.

When you are finished encoding your file...you will want to save it as a .avi file.

This can be tricky depending on what you want to do with your clips. Most of the time if you are rendering out the full .avi file...its gonna be pretty large...ranging from 10gb to maybe even 20gb per episode. This can be pretty bad if you have a small amount of space...so how do we fix this?

The nice thing about virtualdub/mod is you can render out only the bits you need.

Using the input and output buttons...

Spoiler:

...you can set an inpoint and an outpoint, just like in DGINDEX and select the bits and pieces you need out of the entire movie. This is great for action amvs...when you only need specific battle scenes for your desired video.

Now click on FILE > SAVE AS.

Now this window will pop up:

Spoiler:

Click the drop-down menu for VIDEO MODE and select ""Fast recompress mode."

For compression, click change, lagarith lossless codec, and under Configure, make sure "always enable RGB Format for output" is checked.

Spoiler:

When you have everything set...hit save...and wait...

CONGRATS YOU HAVE ENCODED YOUR FIRST DVD RIP!

FOR MKVS:

Dvd ripping is great but sometimes you just dont have enough money for dvds. MKV files are a lot like zip or rar files. They can contain video, audio, and related files. Fansubbers use them because subtitle files are compacted nicely. Usually subtitles are removable if they are softsubbed. If not, then skip this bit.

If you want a raw mkv file...the best way to do this is too go and download "mkvmerge gui". Here is a download link.

Once you have installed it, run it and select the files you do not want from the file.

Once you have your raw .mkv file then you will probably want to open it in virtualdub/mod. The only problem is...virtualdub/mod will not take .mkvs on its own. It needs a few add-ons.

Download this file. Take that .rar and put it in
Code:
C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth 2.5\plugins

Now right click anywhere and do NEW > TEXT DOCUMENT.

Name it whatever. I tend to name mine "blah" or "afkjlkefn" for fun. Razz

Open the new document and type:

Code:
ffvideosource("C:/location/of/your/file/filename.mkv")

for example, my script says:

Code:
ffvideosource("C:\Users\Otakugray\Downloads\FLCL.en.jp.480p.DVD.x264\FLCL01.mkv")

Using this code, virtualdub/mod can open .mkv files.

Once opened, follow step 5. :3

CONGRATS YOU JUST RE-ENCODED A .MKV INTO AVI FORMAT!

otakugray wrote:
Nevergotim wrote:
woot the dvd thing worked i feel accomplished Razz

EDIT: Mine does not have sound when i play it. Did i do something wrong or ?

When you re-encode a file with vdub, it will not have audio.

However, you should have audio files in your VIDEO_TS directory. These are the audio from the .d2v file.

If you want your file to have audio, i recommend downloading zarxGUI HERE and loading the video/audio output as your audio from the VIDEO_TS folder and the full video you rendered out from vdub.

When ur finished, you should have a mp4 with both audio and video.

If you have any questions lemme know, and my msn is otakugray@hotmail.com if you need one on one guidance.

Thanks for reading ;D

Last edited by otakugray on Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:09 pm; edited 6 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/otakugray
GaryOak
Death Sythe
GaryOak

(READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!!) Tutorial on DVD RIPPING and how to RE-ENCODE MKVS Empty
PostSubject: Re: (READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!!) Tutorial on DVD RIPPING and how to RE-ENCODE MKVS   (READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!!) Tutorial on DVD RIPPING and how to RE-ENCODE MKVS I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2010 6:11 pm

thanks, awesome info ;D
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/imveryhungry
narutoguy03
Space Cowboy
narutoguy03

PostSubject: Re: (READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!!) Tutorial on DVD RIPPING and how to RE-ENCODE MKVS   (READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!!) Tutorial on DVD RIPPING and how to RE-ENCODE MKVS I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2010 9:42 pm

Great post.

I suggest using spoilers for the images, makes it look more organized lol.
Back to top Go down
Otakugray
Space Cowboy
Otakugray

PostSubject: Re: (READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!!) Tutorial on DVD RIPPING and how to RE-ENCODE MKVS   (READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!!) Tutorial on DVD RIPPING and how to RE-ENCODE MKVS I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2010 9:45 pm

GaryOak wrote:
thanks, awesome info ;D

No problem. I didnt write much on how to get the TFM and TDEINT plugins.

They are part of a pack called "TIVTC." If you go HERE and look down the list you can find it. CTRL-F is helpful too ofc :3
Back to top Go down
Otakugray
Space Cowboy
Otakugray

PostSubject: Re: (READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!!) Tutorial on DVD RIPPING and how to RE-ENCODE MKVS   (READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!!) Tutorial on DVD RIPPING and how to RE-ENCODE MKVS I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2010 9:52 pm

narutoguy03 wrote:
Great post.

I suggest using spoilers for the images, makes it look more organized lol.

Updated the post.
Back to top Go down
thekungfukid
Death Sythe
thekungfukid

PostSubject: Re: (READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!!) Tutorial on DVD RIPPING and how to RE-ENCODE MKVS   (READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!!) Tutorial on DVD RIPPING and how to RE-ENCODE MKVS I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 12:38 am

so.....is this copyrighted already or can I go ahead and publish the book? lol but yeah it should be helpful. Maybe I can finally convert those Mai Hime episodes I've had for freaking ever
Back to top Go down
nevergotim
5th Seat Soul Reaper
nevergotim

PostSubject: Re: (READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!!) Tutorial on DVD RIPPING and how to RE-ENCODE MKVS   (READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!!) Tutorial on DVD RIPPING and how to RE-ENCODE MKVS I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 9:37 am

Woa thanks for taking the time to do all of this :O going to read the rest when i get back from school
Back to top Go down
Otakugray
Space Cowboy
Otakugray

PostSubject: Re: (READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!!) Tutorial on DVD RIPPING and how to RE-ENCODE MKVS   (READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!!) Tutorial on DVD RIPPING and how to RE-ENCODE MKVS I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 9:13 pm

Nevergotim wrote:
Woa thanks for taking the time to do all of this :O going to read the rest when i get back from school

No problem at all! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
nevergotim
5th Seat Soul Reaper
nevergotim

PostSubject: Re: (READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!!) Tutorial on DVD RIPPING and how to RE-ENCODE MKVS   (READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!!) Tutorial on DVD RIPPING and how to RE-ENCODE MKVS I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 11:41 am

Back to top Go down
Otakugray
Space Cowboy
Otakugray

PostSubject: Re: (READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!!) Tutorial on DVD RIPPING and how to RE-ENCODE MKVS   (READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!!) Tutorial on DVD RIPPING and how to RE-ENCODE MKVS I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 4:22 pm

Nevergotim wrote:

However, you should have audio files in your VIDEO_TS directory. These are the audio from the .d2v file.

If you want your file to have audio, i recommend downloading zarxGUI HERE and loading the video/audio output as your audio from the VIDEO_TS folder and the full video you rendered out from vdub.

Back to top Go down
nevergotim
5th Seat Soul Reaper
nevergotim

PostSubject: Re: (READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!!) Tutorial on DVD RIPPING and how to RE-ENCODE MKVS   (READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!!) Tutorial on DVD RIPPING and how to RE-ENCODE MKVS I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 5:32 pm

otakugray wrote:

ok thanks Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Otakugray
Space Cowboy
Otakugray

PostSubject: Re: (READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!!) Tutorial on DVD RIPPING and how to RE-ENCODE MKVS   (READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!!) Tutorial on DVD RIPPING and how to RE-ENCODE MKVS I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 1:03 pm

Nevergotim wrote:

ok thanks Very Happy

No problem at all. :3
Back to top Go down
Otakugray
Space Cowboy
Otakugray

PostSubject: Re: (READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!!) Tutorial on DVD RIPPING and how to RE-ENCODE MKVS   (READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!!) Tutorial on DVD RIPPING and how to RE-ENCODE MKVS I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 1:08 pm

updated the post again
Back to top Go down
nevergotim
5th Seat Soul Reaper
nevergotim

PostSubject: Re: (READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!!) Tutorial on DVD RIPPING and how to RE-ENCODE MKVS   (READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!!) Tutorial on DVD RIPPING and how to RE-ENCODE MKVS I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 1:57 pm

Sweet the mkv thing worked Very Happy thanks man
Back to top Go down
Otakugray
Space Cowboy
Otakugray

PostSubject: Re: (READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!!) Tutorial on DVD RIPPING and how to RE-ENCODE MKVS   (READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!!) Tutorial on DVD RIPPING and how to RE-ENCODE MKVS I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 3:21 pm

Nevergotim wrote:

Sweet the mkv thing worked Very Happy thanks man

No problem Smile Glad i could help!
Back to top Go down
nevergotim
5th Seat Soul Reaper
nevergotim

PostSubject: Re: (READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!!) Tutorial on DVD RIPPING and how to RE-ENCODE MKVS   (READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!!) Tutorial on DVD RIPPING and how to RE-ENCODE MKVS I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 10:40 pm

ok only one mkv worked i have a different one and it just crashes vdub and i did this whole process over with it and it still did not work :I
Back to top Go down
Otakugray
Space Cowboy
Otakugray

PostSubject: Re: (READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!!) Tutorial on DVD RIPPING and how to RE-ENCODE MKVS   (READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!!) Tutorial on DVD RIPPING and how to RE-ENCODE MKVS I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 2:33 pm

Nevergotim wrote:
ok only one mkv worked i have a different one and it just crashes vdub and i did this whole process over with it and it still did not work :I

Send me your script and ill see if i can find the problem Smile
Back to top Go down
GaryOak
Death Sythe
GaryOak

PostSubject: Re: (READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!!) Tutorial on DVD RIPPING and how to RE-ENCODE MKVS   (READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!!) Tutorial on DVD RIPPING and how to RE-ENCODE MKVS I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 24, 2011 2:33 am

The .mkv thing isn't working for me, is there a special format I'm supposed to save the text file as?
Back to top Go down
narutoguy03
Space Cowboy
narutoguy03

PostSubject: Re: (READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!!) Tutorial on DVD RIPPING and how to RE-ENCODE MKVS   (READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!!) Tutorial on DVD RIPPING and how to RE-ENCODE MKVS I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 24, 2011 6:15 pm

GaryOak wrote:
The .mkv thing isn't working for me, is there a special format I'm supposed to save the text file as?

Save it as a .avs file.
Back to top Go down
GaryOak
Death Sythe
GaryOak

PostSubject: Re: (READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!!) Tutorial on DVD RIPPING and how to RE-ENCODE MKVS   (READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!!) Tutorial on DVD RIPPING and how to RE-ENCODE MKVS I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 24, 2011 9:38 pm

narutoguy03 wrote:
GaryOak wrote:

Save it as a .avs file.

thanks

edit: still not working, what folder am I supposed to put the file in? my code should be correct
Code:
ffvideosource("J:\Anime\Madoka Magica\[Nutbladder]_Puella_Magi_Madoka_Magica_-_02v2_[A0F8F5F4].mkv")
Back to top Go down
GaryOak
Death Sythe
GaryOak

PostSubject: Re: (READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!!) Tutorial on DVD RIPPING and how to RE-ENCODE MKVS   (READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!!) Tutorial on DVD RIPPING and how to RE-ENCODE MKVS I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2011 1:29 am

bump
Back to top Go down
Diddy
Academy Student
Diddy

PostSubject: (READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!!) Tutorial on DVD RIPPING and how to RE-ENCODE MKVS   (READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!!) Tutorial on DVD RIPPING and how to RE-ENCODE MKVS I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2011 5:37 am

Hello. I pretty much just made an account to say this, but as far as re-encoding goes, I just use handbrake (tried to post a link but I can't since I just registered like 10 minutes ago XD if you just google handbrake it should be the first link)
Pretty sure the only thing you can re-encode to is mp4, but I don't see why that would be a problem. And you get to keep the audio from the source and shit (really you can choose if you want to, same with the subs, you just select it from the menus at the bottom which track you want) so you don't have to make it more complicated than it seems like it would be with Vdub
It's kind of slow, a 24 minute video encodes for me in about 18-19 minutes (for me at least) I'm not sure if Vdub is faster or not, I only used it a few times to synch TGAs. I just didn't know if anyone knew about it, I figured it might make it a little easier.

-Dat long ass, unorganized, hard to read post.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/ImDiddyKongFTW?feature=mhee
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: (READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!!) Tutorial on DVD RIPPING and how to RE-ENCODE MKVS   (READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!!) Tutorial on DVD RIPPING and how to RE-ENCODE MKVS I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

(READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!!) Tutorial on DVD RIPPING and how to RE-ENCODE MKVS
Page 1 of 1